Sunday, April 26, 2009

Finally legal after all these years

It was a monday after Bob signed me off for the flight exam, that I was sitting at my desk and decided to take the afternoon off from work and accomplish 2 things.

1 Sign up for social-security

2 Get my Sport Pilot License

So off I go to the SS office, and waited, and waited, and waited, finally someone called my name and after answering numerous absurd questions and proving that I was truly an American born citizen, (I was about ready to deck that guy) I recieved my SS card verifying that I am truly an OLD FART.

Ok, now to head out to see Jim Leon, my DPE. He brings me into his office, has me sit down, and then starts grilling me on airspace, runway markings, sectional reading, plotting a cross country, rules and regs, you name it. Even though he knows I've been flying for over 30 years and respects my ability.

It shows that he is a professional DPE and takes nothing for granted. You had better know all that is required before you go in to see him.

Well I kept him happy for the oral and I went and got my airplane out of the hanger and picked him up. Flying was a piece of cake and I did all he asked perfectly.

After we landed he disappeared into his office and showed up a few minutes later with a piece of paper in his hand and said, "I know you've always played by the rules, but now the FAA says you are legal."

FINALLY!!!!!!!!



No comments: